When we develop obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) our overall health and quality of life can suffer, along with our ability to sleep. However, there are definitely early warning signs that could alert people to the presence of the disorder. What warning signs should our Spring, TX, patients be aware of?
Try Our Quiz on Sleep Apnea Symptoms
- True or False: Don’t ignore persistent snoring.
- True or False: Headaches and dry mouth could indicate trouble.
- True or False: Let us know about daytime drowsiness.
- True or False: The disorder impacts quality of life.
- True. If you snore on a regular basis, this could be as sign of sleep apnea. OSA episodes occur when the soft tissues in our throat and the back of the mouth become overly relaxed, collapsing and blocking airflow. Patients then snore frequently and often stop breathing for brief periods in the night.
- True. Other warning signs could include persistent headaches, dry mouth in the mornings, waking up in the night struggling to breathe or choking, and daytime drowsiness. Moodiness, difficulty staying awake behind the wheel, and trouble focusing on tasks at work or school could also indicate trouble.
- True. We all sometimes feel sleepy during the day, particularly in the afternoon after a big lunch. But if you feel tired nearly every day, especially if you assume you slept the night before, then you may be experiencing a common indicator of OSA.
- True. Over time, the disorder increases the risk of depression and may impact your job performance. Moodiness can impact your relationships in negative ways, and over time the disorder also increases the risk of high blood pressure, stroke, and heart attack. If you have any questions about treatment, or if you think you may need a diagnosis, then contact our team today.
Do You Recognize Any Warning Signs?
If you think you may be suffering from OSA, then contact our team today for a diagnosis. To learn more, call Houston Sleep Solutions in Spring, TX, at (281) 320-2000, or in Pearland, TX, at (832) 564-3508.