When a person develops sleep apnea, serious health problems may follow. In addition to trouble sleeping, patients may find themselves at a higher risk of high blood pressure, and even stroke or heart attack! Fortunately, we can help our Pearland, TX, patients. In today’s blog, let’s look at the common warning signs of sleep apnea.
Try Our Quiz on Sleep Apnea
- True or False: Snoring may be a warning sign.
- True or False: Daytime drowsiness may be a cause for concern.
- True or False: Your daily habits impact your risk.
- True or False: We have treatment options.
- True. Snoring occurs when our airways are partially blocked. Air is forced through when we breathe, vibrating tissues and creating loud noises. Since sleep apnea episodes happen when airways become completely blocked, sufferers may also be more likely to snore regularly.
- True. Patients with the disorder stop breathing during the night, until the brain wakes them up. While they may not remember waking up, this happens hundreds of times a night for some patients, leading to exhaustion during the day, moodiness, difficulty concentrating, and a higher risk of falling asleep behind the wheel.
- True. If you consume alcohol or caffeine products before bed, or if you sleep on your back instead of your side, then you may be more likely to develop apneic episodes. We can discuss bedtime habits and other changes to your daily routine to help limit your risk of developing OSA.
- True. In order to help patients with sleep apnea, we may prescribe an oral appliance. The custom-made sleep device will be worn at night and reposition the jaw, helping airways remain open throughout the night. If you have any questions about preventing or treating OSA, then contact our team today. We want to help you rest with ease!
Do You Need to See Us?
If you think you may be at risk, then contact our team to talk about possible treatment options. To learn more, call Houston Sleep Solutions in Spring, TX, at (281) 320-2000, or in Pearland, TX, at (832) 564-3508.