A simple question. Do you have sleep apnea? Often, people simply are not aware of the common warning signs, and as a result can suffer from obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) for years. In today’s blog, we’re taking a look at the warning signs of OSA and when patients in Pearland, TX, should seek treatment.
Try Our Quiz on Sleep Apnea
- True or False: Snoring is a sign you need treatment.
- True or False: Lack of treatment can mean higher blood pressure.
- True or False: You can help with changes to your sleep habits.
- True or False: We have multiple treatment options.
- True. Snoring occurs when soft tissues partially obstruct airflow, leading to a loud noise. Sleep apnea happens when those same tissues completely block airflow. For that reasons, persistent snoring is often a warning sign that you may have a sleep disorder. Other warning signs include daytime sleepiness, moodiness, trouble concentrating in tasks at work or school, dry mouth, headaches, and waking up in the night gasping for air or choking.
- True. Over time, untreated sleep apnea can increase the risk of high blood pressure and subsequently, increase the risk of heart attack and stroke. People with the disorder may also be more likely to fall asleep behind the wheel as well.
- True. Try to avoid alcohol or caffeine products in the two hours before bed. You should also abstain from exercise or large meals right before bed. Try sleeping on your side instead of your back and maintain a regular sleep schedule, which means going to bed and waking up at the same times each day.
- True. We may recommend a custom-made oral appliance, a CPAP machine, or other possible solutions to help you breathe throughout the night and avoid apneic episodes. If you have any questions about diagnosing OSA, then contact our team today.
Do You Need a Diagnosis?
If you think you may suffer from OSA, then contact our team today. To learn more, call Houston Sleep Solutions in Spring, TX, at (281) 320-2000, or in Pearland, TX, at (832) 564-3508.